Saturday, January 3, 2015

Review: Playing by Heart by Anne Mateer


Playing by Heart was a thought provoking read by new to me author Anne Mateer.  Taking place during World War I in a small town in Oklahoma, we have two characters that are making some tough decisions.  Both our hero and heroine are doing what they can do to put their family’s needs before their wants, even while watching their dreams die.   I enjoyed watching the tender romance grow and even a bit of the history of basketball.  It was interesting to read how women teachers had much stricter rules enforced upon them than the men did. This story alternates from both characters point of view, and I liked really getting to know both of them.  This was a well- crafted story and my favorite part was the message.  The title says it all and is very fitting.  And to quote one of the characters, “…the subject of my work wasn't as important as the act of doing it well…”  I thank The Book Club Network, Inc. (TBCN) for my review copy.  The opinions are my own and I look forward to more of Anne Mateers books.


No comments:

Post a Comment