Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Review: Buttermilk Sky by Jan Watson


I have been reading a great many books lately by new to me authors and Buttermilk Sky is my first read from Jan Watson.  It was a lovely coming of age story about a young woman who is trying to find her own way in life.  Mazy (I really liked that name) has left her small mountain town of Skip Rock and is going to secretarial school in the city.  This story takes place during the year 1913.  When she left, she also left the sheriff, Chanis, who is a few years older than her and very much in love with her.  Though they are apart for most of the story, we get a really good characterization of both Mazy and Chanis as we are seeing life happen through both of their viewpoints.  I really liked both characters.  Mazy was sweet and innocent and really had to learn about the world through her own experiences before she could see the gifts she already had.  She had a couple of harrowing near misses and I enjoyed seeing her relate with her city friends.  Chanis was a really fun character to get to know.  He was a simple fellow who for the most part knew what he wanted in life.  He took care of his responsibilities and he loved Mazy with his whole heart.  Some of the situations he found himself in, because he was the sheriff, had me laughing out loud even though they were serious situations that could have taken his life.  Again, he was such a fun character and Jan Watson’s writing was a delight to read.  I received my review copy from The Book Club Network, Inc. (TBCN) and the opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment