Sunday, January 25, 2015

Review: Hawk by Ronie Kendig


Confession time: Hawk is the first book I have read by Ronie Kendig.  It will certainly not be my last.  Starting off, I was not sure the first few chapters in if I was going to enjoy this one.  I do not read a lot of military fiction and there were a lot of characters to keep track of and some military lingo I was not familiar with.  That being said, Ronie does provide us with a glossary of terms and acronyms as well as a character list including a sundry character list.  All of these lists were quite useful.  This is the second in the series of The Quiet Professionals and I did not read book one.  Even though I think this book stands well alone, I would have been more familiar with the team if I had read book one.  However, after reading this one, I am now anxious to get my hands on the first one, Raptor 6 and especially the third, Falcon, which will be out later this year. 
There came a point in the story that there was no going back for me.  It grabbed a hold of me and I stayed up way too late (2:30 in the morning late) just to reach the conclusion.  The bad guys, and there seemed to be a mess of them, were all over the place bad.  Hawk, our hero, was my favorite good guy.  This is mostly his story and even with all his temper, smart mouth, and his genuine genius (ness), he was a hero that would not, could not give up.  He is probably (if I had a list) at the top of my book hero list.  Our heroine, Fekiria, gave us a bird’s eye view of being an Afghan woman raised in a very strict family trying to make her way in a world where women are viewed as property. 
I really ended up enjoying Ms. Kendig’s storytelling.  At first there seemed to be many different story threads happening in this one book, but when she tied all of them together….BOOM!!!  I am a new fan. 
I received my review copy from The Book Club Network, Inc. (TBCN) and the opinions stated are my own honest ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment