Monday, October 7, 2019

Review: One More River to Cross by Jane Kirkpatrick

To Purchase
About:

Based on true events, this compelling survival story by award-winning novelist Jane Kirkpatrick is full of grit and endurance. Beset by storms, bad timing, and desperate decisions, 8 women, 17 children, and one man must outlast winter in the middle of the Sierra Nevada in 1844.

My Thoughts:

Just looking at this cover I knew I was in for an atmospheric read of cold, trouble, and triumph. There are a lot of characters introduced in this book. I did read through all the characters, as there is a nice glossary in the beginning. To get us used to the characters the story is written in short segments. 

I must say that I did not care too much for the men. I know this is a time when women basically did not have a vote and were to cook and look after the children, but like one of the women stated, their lives were on the line too.

If you are looking for a historical of pioneers pushing through this country through thick and thin and based on a true story, pick this one up. It was a riveting read of the tenacity that people had and can have.

I received a copy of this novel from Revell. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment