Saturday, March 26, 2016

Review: The Firethorn Crown by Lea Doue


First I’m going to state what I didn’t like with this book and get that over with:  I had a hard time following the story in some scenes, I don’t know if the fault was mine or the author’s but I was a little confused at some parts, and at others simply scratching my head.  Secondly, I had a hard time relating with some of the characters, I like Twelve Dancing Princesses stories because I like how all the sister’s play a part, most of the princesses were splendidly done but a few just didn’t work; namely Ivy.  I just didn’t understand what made that little girl tick.

Now that that is over with I want to say that despite its minor fallbacks I really did enjoy this book.  It’s not my favorite twelve dancing princesses retelling but it is certainly a good one.  The bad guy was masterfully done and I didn’t figure out what motivated him until the very end of the book.  Lily, the main character was great.  I loved her loyalty to her sisters and kingdom.  The hero was great and he and Lily certainly had great chemistry even if they tried to hide it!  I liked Orin, the goose prince… hmm, do I smell a Goose Girl retelling in the future?  However if I had to pick a favorite I would definitely say that it was Holic.  He was just so gallant and nice, and always stepped in to help even if he wasn’t asked.  The plot was quick moving and interesting, and I liked how twelve dancing princesses elements were interweaved everywhere.  I look forward to the next books in this series.

I received this book as a birthday gift and these are my honest opinions.

Reviewed by Nicki

No comments:

Post a Comment