Saturday, March 19, 2016

Review: I Hope It's Not Hereditary by Jedidiah Hartley


I am not a nonfiction person.  I’m not.  I try to avoid nonfiction books at all costs, but when I saw I Hope It’s Not Hereditary’s cover and read the back of the book I decided to give it a shot.  I am not a person who can easily turn down a good funny book whether it be fiction or nonfiction.  That’s what I thought this book was: a hilariously funny story.  The first chapter seemed to fall easily into the mold of a hilariously funny story, but as I progressed further and further into the book I realized that this was not that kind of book.  I had thought the book would be a collection of stories that have nothing really in common except for the main character: Bob Hartley; instead this book takes you through Bob’s journey through the years from when he was a small child earning the nickname Bulldog Bob to his finally accepting Jesus as his savior and God as the ruler of his life.  This was not an easy story for me to read.  I found it extremely heart wrenching at some parts and even found myself crying at one point in the story.  I was extremely shocked that this book was not the light happy read I had expected.  Now with that out of the way I did still enjoy this book and recommend it to others even if it was not as humor filled as I would have liked.   I simply warn you, while there are a few chapters that are simply hilarious; the majority of the book is a young man’s spiritual struggle to come to terms with what he has done in the past and to find God.  It was a deeply moving story and I found the last chapter to be very poignant.  I loved the metaphors that were used, and I hope that someday the author will write another book only this time focusing on Jed Hartley’s story and what it was like growing up with Bob Hartley as a father (the first and twenty-fifth chapters were my favorites in case you didn’t notice).

I received a copy for an honest review from The Book Club Network, Inc. and the opinions are my own.

Reviewed by Nicki

No comments:

Post a Comment