Saturday, March 26, 2016

Review: Dawn of Ash by Rebecca Ethington


First I just want to say that I was not a fan of Burnt Devotion. I didn’t like how Ethington brought the book back in time yet again.  This meant that we had to reread the same events that we had read in the last book, the only difference was that this time we were reading from a different point of view.  I didn’t like Wyn’s point of view, it was dark and depressing; I didn’t like Ryland’s point of view, it was too crazy; and frankly there was not enough of Joclyn’s point of view.

Dawn of Ash was a definite improvement.  There was no reliving past events, and I believe that Ethington did a good job with all the different points of views.  I liked it that we toned down Wyn’s point of view some, but didn’t lose her completely; since, underneath all that doom and gloom and that personal little rain cloud that follows her around everywhere  she goes, she really is an amusing character.  I liked it that when you read from Ryland’s point of view you were finally reading from the point of view of a sane person, because Ryland is actually a cool guy when every other word in his vocabulary isn’t “kill”.  We also got some of Dramen’s point of view in this book, so that was a plus; it was nice to finally know what was going on inside of his head.  Personally I think that we still needed more Joclyn, but we certainly had more from her in this book than what we had in Burnt Devotion- much, much more.  I felt that Illyan played a smaller part in this book.  I wish he would have just done more, but it was nice to get his point of view.  I think that Ethington did a good job portraying the baddies and developing their story, but I also think she went a little over the top having so much from their points of view.  About halfway through the book I was sick of reading from Ovailia’s and Sain’s point of view, cause let’s face it, they’re just crackers. I read this book in a matter of days, the plot was fast moving with a few surprise twists and turns here and there.

On a whole I liked this book and I eagerly await the next book because I am a huge fan of this series and I can’t wait to know what happens next, but I’m also a little scared of where this story is headed…

I purchased this book off of Amazon and these are my honest opinions. 


Reviewed by Nicki

No comments:

Post a Comment