Monday, August 5, 2019

Review: Light from Distant Stars by Shawn Smucker

To Purchase
About:


When Cohen Marah steps over the body of his dead father on a cold spring morning, he steps into a labyrinth of memory. In the week that follows, he must confront his traumatic past, a violent present, and the most frightening question of all—did he kill his father?

My Thoughts:


Light from Distant Stars has a lyrical writing style that pulls you through the story and does not let you go till the very end. This story is sad , as we see the fracture of a family. A family that in this boys mind was his firm foundation. The story takes place in 2015 over a period of 6 days and we are taken back to Cohen’s childhood in the 1980’s. Those past parts of the story really got to me, as I was a kid who grew up in the 1980’s. And a lot of childhood memories came rushing back to me and I could see young Cohen as a boy.

This story really showcases how childhood experiences and trauma can have a direct affect on adult life. The story is told through Cohen’s eyes, as he takes in what has happened to his father, his love for his sister, his dealings with his mother, and his childhood and to certain past events that are mysterious and have a supernatural theme to them.

I look forward to more of author Smucker’s addictive and unique story telling with a touch of horror.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment