Monday, February 29, 2016

Review: The Prophetess by Jill Eileen Smith


The Prophetess is Deborah’s story and the second in the series, Daughters of the Promised Land by Jill Eileen Smith.  I read and enjoyed the The Crimson Cord, which was Rahab’s story, and I think this one topped that one.  Deborah of the Bible has always been a mysterious person to me and I was very interested in how Ms. Smith’s imagination would take on her character.  I personally always wondered how Deborah, a woman in Israel, became a well-respected prophetess in a culture where it was more of a man’s world.  Not only are we told Deborah’s story through her point of view, but also Barak’s, the captain, and Jael’s, the woman who ultimately kills the very evil Sisera the terrorist leader in their time.  With great attention to detail of the times and culture we are treated to “what-if’s” surrounding the very real Bible story.  We also are showed the brutality which held Israel in fear and in bondage for twenty years to the Canaanite King Jabin and to his commander Sisera.  The very real struggle was not unlike the struggles today with acts of terror and the current slave trade.  When the Israelites finally repented of their worship of other gods, the one true God fought for them and ultimately rescued them.  I also enjoyed the romance storylines that blossomed and became stronger, and the ending was very beautiful, heartwarming, and bittersweet.   I received a copy for an honest review from Revell Publishing and the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment