Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Review: The Shock of Night by Patrick W. Carr


The Shock of Night is the first book I have read by Patrick Carr, and what a fantasy it was.  Clocking in at 455 pages, you have a very intricate world of politics, nobles, and religious factions.  Throw in a murder mystery and the king’s reeve (detective), Willet Dura, with some secrets of his own that are even unknown to him; an invading army; and you have a tale that will keep you up all hours of the night just to unravel all the knotty threads.  Not knowing who to trust, Willet, with his new found gift searches his city for answers to why a priest and his body guard were so brutally murdered?   What did they know?  Not only that, but as the bodies start stacking up, Willet is in a race against time to prove that he is not a mad man himself, and to unlock the secrets of his own mind of how and why did he survive the evil Darkwater ten years previous, and is all of this connected.

I have not read a lot of fantasies as they always seem to confuse me at first until I become immersed in their world and this story was no exception.  This is a darker, more violent tale that includes friendship and a hint of romance, which I wish there was more of.  I did enjoy reading out of my usual genre and I look forward to the next installment.  I received a copy for an honest review from Bethany House Publishers and The Book Club Network, Inc. and the opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment