Monday, April 13, 2015

Review: Old Fashioned by Rene Gutteridge


Old Fashioned took me by surprise.  I was expecting a light hearted romance and instead received something different.  Our two main characters, Clay Walsh and Amber Hewson, are attracted to each other and go about courting in an interesting way.  Amber has just rented the room above Clay’s antique shop, and is not one who sticks around when things get tough.  Clay is an enigma to her and she finds herself drawn to him despite his odd ways of dealing with women.  For example, Clay insisting she waits outside while he does a repair in her apartment.   As the story progresses and we witness their courting we begin to learn about their pasts that have put them both on the roads they were traveling in their lives before they intersected.   Besides our two main characters, we also meet a host of secondary ones that are just as broken and mixed up as the couple they can’t figure out.  At times very heartwarming and heartbreaking, this story also made me laugh out loud and I really enjoyed the last chapter.  It was well done and very romantic.  This book is a novelization of the screenplay by Rik Swartzwelder.   I look forward to watching the movie by the same name when it is available on DVD.  I received my review copy from The Book Club Network, Inc. and the opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment