Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Review: The Darkest Summer by Rebecca J. Greenwood

To Purchase
About:

Lady Cora Winfield's life has always gone according to plan--her mother's plan. That's why Cora is so fascinated when she meets the dark Duke of Blackdale. Knowing his dangerous reputation, Cora's mother flatly forbids the match, and the duke decides to take matters into his own hands. Kidnapped and facing a scandal, Lady Cora must now decide whether love will be her downfall or the beginning of a new plan, one she never dreamed possible. 


Set in the stormy summer of 1816, this Regency romance is a retelling of the myth of Hades and Persephone.

My Thoughts:

The Darkest Summer was an ingenious and captivating retelling of the Hades and Persephone myth. I was absolutely glued to this story and when I could not read it, thought about it. This takes place during 1816 which is considered the year with no summer as we now know due to a volcanic eruption that affected the earth’s weather. We are talking snow in July- that is an absolute bone chilling nightmare for me.

Our characters Adam (Hades) and Cora (Persephone) happen to meet that summer. Cora is concerned for the crops and plants throughout England, which in turn causes her to be concerned for the people due to the shortage of crops that can grow. Cora is a horticulturist, and though I do not have a green thumb, I enjoyed the way the author wrote about her passion and her great care of plants and flowers.

Adam, our Hades, is a guy that I really liked. He was enamored with Cora from the start and pursues her as only a gentleman can even with his family’s dark past. He is a duke and someone that Cora’s very particular mother might accept for her daughter- if not for his family history and the fact that he is a Scottish duke with his lands nowhere near hers. So I know how the myth goes and I knew that there would be an abduction scene I just wasn’t sure how it would play out and when it would happen.

Like I said, I really liked Adam, so when that fateful scene occurred (even knowing it was going to happen), the author was able to surprise me anyway. Adam, how could you! The rest of the story was quite an adventure and I was wondering how in the world Cora, who had feelings for Adam would ever forgive him.

This was a masterful told retelling of a myth with all the characters that I remembered in it. Even down to the family history of the Greek gods. I really hope we get more of these retellings. I am interested in Nathan’s (Poseidon) story and maybe even a redemption story for Jude (Zeus).

I purchased this book for my own reading enjoyment, and enjoyed it I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment