Saturday, October 17, 2015

Review: A Simple Act of Betrayal by Ren Brim


I rarely come across a book that I will keep reading where I really can’t stand the main character.  However, with A Simple Act of Betrayal, I did simply because I could tell the author really put her heart into her book and the story was intriguing and kept me reading.  David was a jerk and a womanizer and I didn’t like how everything was handed to him on a silver platter.  I did not particularly like his friends either but they added humor to sometimes a really intense situation.  By about the middle of the book my dislike actually turned to pity and I saw David for the lost soul he really was.  As I continued reading I really hoped for redemption for him and that he would change into a better person.  Throughout the story I waited for the big reveal of the betrayer and I was quite surprised at who it ended up being.

There was a lot of head hopping in the storyline and a lot of flashbacks that would happen abruptly that at times confused me as to which viewpoint we were getting.

Content warning: I do believe this is meant to be an inspirational story with fallen people living in a fallen world, however there was some content that was included that surprised me and may not be for everybody: crass talk, sexual and sensual undertones, and a bit of language and violence.

I received a copy of this book from The Book Club Network, Inc. and the opinions are my own.  

No comments:

Post a Comment