Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Review: Trial by Twelve by Heather Day Gilbert


Trial by Twelve by Heather Day Gilbert is my first read by her and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  This is the second in the series, A Murder in the Mountains, but it can be read as a standalone.  I own her Viking historical and the first in this series, but unfortunately due to time constraints I needed to read and review this one first.  However, I plan to rectify that soon.  I have just in the past few years been reading mystery and suspense and have read a lot of good ones.  This one is by far my favorite.  This continues the adventures of Tess a loving wife and mother to a sweet baby girl just working a part time job at a mountain spa to help pay for her husband's law school loans.  Thomas, her husband, I instantly liked and I do wish there was more of Tess and Thomas time together.  I do understand that this all takes place in a relatively short time and Thomas was working a lot to provide for his family too. When construction workers digging on the spa property find a human bone, the police are called in and discover a mass grave of eight bodies.  For about ¾ of the book at the beginning of each chapter we have a very delusional father writing letters to his child through the years.  Now this man seems to be getting more dangerous each passing year and we as the reader along with Tess and the police do not know if his child is male or female.  That makes everyone suspect then from Tess’s peace loving boss, to the creepy computer guy, to the very strange masseur.  Even the lead cop is a bit off. I will state that at times Tess, kind of like a Nancy Drew character, helping the investigation as much as she was seemed a little bit far-fetched but this was a fun, creepy, could not stop turning the pages kind of novel.  I look forward to more stories, past and future by Ms. Gilbert.  I received a copy for an honest review from The Book Club Network, Inc. (TBCN) and the opinions are my own.

1 comment: