Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Review: A Refuge at Highland Hall by Carrie Turansky


If you are looking for a period drama to take you back to the past, look no further than the novel, A Refuge at Highland Hall.  This is the third book in author Carrie Turansky’s Edwardian Brides series and is the first book I have had an opportunity to read by her.  Going into the third book, I was not sure how not reading the other stories would affect my enjoyment.  When I first cracked open the book there was a two page list of characters.  However, not to be dismayed I started into the book and was soon caught up with all the doings at Highland Hall during World War 1.  This story follows a couple of romances and gives readers of the trilogy a chance to catch up with the lives of the previous characters.   This started out a little slow for me but by the time I got about halfway through I was very caught up in the drama of these characters and what was happening in their lives.  I have read quite a few WW2 stories, but I believe this may be the first I have read that dealt with WW1.  And Ms. Turansky’s attention to historical detail was quite mesmerizing.  I look forward to more by this new to me author. 

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.  The opinions stated in this review are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment