Monday, May 16, 2016

Review: The Calling by Rachelle Dekker


The Calling by Rachelle Dekker picks up a little while after the first book ends. I was a bit surprised to find that Remko, the main protagonist, is now a husband and a father, but it was a pleasant surprise- definitely something different in the dystopian market. The story begins in action and is rife with drama, betrayal, and emotion as Remko struggles to learn how to surrender the fear that grips him so completely- not easy to do, since he has not only a wife and a child to take care of, but also a whole camp of rebels and runaways from the Authority that once kept them all enslaved; a camp he never asked to be in charge of. The story reminded me of the early Christians being persecuted by Rome, except public executions aren’t the only danger- there is also a mysterious group performing tests on humans in an attempt to remove free will. The story will have you nervously following lovable characters hoping that they don’t die. Or get brainwashed. The ending was necessary, I suppose, for the next book, though I hope I never have to face the decision they did, because I don’t think I could make their choice. Looking forward to the next book to see if everything turns out all right!

I received a copy for an honest review from The Book Club Network, Inc. and the opinions are my own.

Reviewed by Jes

No comments:

Post a Comment