Sunday, May 29, 2016

Review: Anchor in the Storm by Sarah Sundin

Anchor in the Storm

Anchor in the Storm is Sarah Sundin’s second in her series Waves of Freedom and it was a highly anticipated read for me.  In the first book of the series we meet Jim Avery and his best friend and fellow Ensign Officer Archer Vandenberg.  I really liked Archer and I was looking forward to his story which pairs him up with Jim’s little sister Lillian.  Lillian is such a great character and I liked her spunk and tenacity and how she strived to overcome the obstacles in her way.  First off she went to school to become a pharmacist which was an unusual occupation for a woman during the 1940’s.  Not only that, but due to an accident as a child, she was missing a leg and used a prosthesis. 

Archer on the other hand comes from a very wealthy family yet he wants nothing to do with his wealth.  He wants to find a woman who will love him for who he is and not for his name or the substantial riches behind it.  As he and Lillian get to know each other while investigating together on a secret case possibly dealing with a drug ring, they begin to fall for one another.  However, both must overcome past disappointments and fears before learning to fully trust each other.  Their story takes place during the backdrop of World War 2 and their very lives become dangerously exposed.

This novel lived up to my expectations and more and I even learned about some WW2 history that I previously had not known.  I very much look forward to getting to know the next Avery sibling, Dan, and his story in the third of this series. 

I was provided a copy for an honest review from Revell Publishing and the opinions are my own.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the lovely review! I'm so glad you enjoyed Arch & Lillian's story!

    ReplyDelete