Friday, February 28, 2020

Review: Copper Country by Kristin Neva

To Purchase
About:

Will bitterness keep Aimee and Russ from merging their life paths when forgiveness seems unmerited?

AIMEE MALLON WRESTLES WITH FAITH, FAMILY, AND FORGIVENESS as she pursues her dreams. She’s working her way through college and navigating a difficult relationship with her father, who’s oblivious to the pain he’s caused the family. She loves her boyfriend, Russ Saarinen, but he has his own hang-ups, which have led him to a rustic lifestyle in an off-the-grid cabin in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

COPPER COUNTRY is set on what the old Finns called Kuparisaari. Copper Island juts into Lake Superior from the north end of the Keweenaw Peninsula, where remnants of an industry long passed dot the landscape. Yoopers, the people of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, are rugged individuals, geographically and culturally distinct from much of America.

Copper Country is part of the Copper Island series, but it can be read as a stand-alone novel.

My Thoughts:

Copper Country was my first read by author Neva and what an interesting world I was pulled into. I was not really aware of the culture of the Keweenaw Peninsula in Michigan, and though the two towns are fictional, the author does pull us into that part of the US. Especially by using the Finnish words still popular and I must say I was fasctinated.

This story focuses on a couple who are trying to see if they are going to make it long term or not. Both Aimee and Russ are unique individuals who have let past hurts control at times the direction of their lives. Aimee's is family issues and Russ is trying to shut out the world.

At times I wondered about these two and how in the world they would make it. They genuinely seemed to love each other, even though one was reluctant to admit it, but their differences and even their way of life was very glaring. Even when it came to their church families. The story was enjoyable as they try to make their relationship work and at the same time try to keep their individuality. Even though sometimes I wanted to smack them, Russ more, I couldn't help rooting for this odd couple.

I was provided a copy of this novel by the author. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment