Friday, January 5, 2018

Review: To Wager Her Heart by Tamera Alexander


To Purchase

About:


Set against the real history of Nashville’s Belle Meade Plantation and the original Fisk University Jubilee Singers ensemble, To Wager Her Heart is a stirring love story about seeking justice and restoring honor at a time in American history when both were tenuous and hard-won.

My Thoughts:

To Wager Her Heart by author Tamera Alexander is a story of a young woman who has decided to follow her dreams instead of her parent’s plans for her life. She does however do this in a most respectful way, even considering her age which is in the mid-twenties. Taking place in Nashville in the year 1871, the Civil War and its aftermaths was still very much on everyone’s minds. As the country was changing from the way before the war to the new reality, unfortunately Alexandra was seeing that old prejudices did not want to die. Stepping out on her own, to the best of her abilities, she was also paving the way for more women to do just the same.

This was much more of a historical novel than a romance, although we do get to see a romance bloom between Alexandra and Sylas Rutledge after a rocky beginning. I did appreciate the author’s historical details and the real life people she placed in this book. Sylas was a railroad owner and trying to make his name by purchasing more lines and opening up the country’s infrastructure. I was unaware of some of the historical facts that even took place closer to my neck of the woods and I am intrigued enough to look closer at that history.

This is the third novel in the series A Belle Meade Plantation, and I have yet to read the first in the series. I still enjoyed To Win Her Favor more (more of a romance historical, more my cup of tea) I did like getting a peak Alexandra’s and Sylas’s world.


I received a copy of this novel for free. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment