Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Review: Missing Isaac by Valerie Fraser Luesse

To Purchase
About:

When a black field hand disappears, a wealthy white boy he has befriended sets out  to find him. But Pete McLean discovers more than he bargained for—including unexpected love and difficult truths about race and class in 1960s Alabama.

My Thoughts:

I enjoy discovering new author’s stories and debut author Valerie Fraser Luesse’s story, Missing Isaac, is one for the keeper shelf. When I first started this story I really did not know what I was getting into. I was happily surprised by this novel and its message of love and community that was written between its pages.

As the title suggests, we are introduced to a young boy, Pete, who has latched on to his father’s field hand, Isaac, after some terrible circumstances. Isaac is like the big brother Pete never had, guiding him and showing him how to be himself. Then Isaac disappears without a trace. As the year’s progress and Pete grows into manhood and he meets new people and new friends, he has not forgotten Isaac. Isaac’s lost story line is relevant in the shaping of Pete and his loved ones lives. Even though life continued to go on, there was still a missing piece.

This is a story of a small community made up of rich, poor, black, and white during the 1960’s. Some of the people are kind, some mean, and some very peculiar. This is also a coming of age story. This book touched on some of the deepest tragedies people can face and showed how after a while they were picking up the pieces learning to live and love again. There are a couple of romances nestled into these pages. And though this story’s focus is not the romance, the two that are within are superbly told. I am glad I picked up this book and tried this new author. I can’t wait for more of her stories.

I received a copy of this novel for free. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment