Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Review: Waves of Mercy by Lynn Austin

Click to purchase.
About:


In 1897, Geesje de Jonge is asked to write a memoir about her experience emigrating from the Netherlands to the Michigan wilderness in honor of her town’s fiftieth anniversary. As Geesje recalls the events of the past, a young visitor, Anna Nicholson, mourns a broken engagement. Over the course of one summer, the lives of both women will change forever.

My Review:

If you like family drama then you will definitely enjoy author Lynn Austin’s newest novel Waves of Mercy.  This story follows two different timelines for two women who have much more in common than they can imagine.  Alternating between the two timelines we have Anna’s story which is in 1897; and Geesje’s which takes place 50 years previous.  I have to say this was at times a heart wrenching read; filled with sadness and circumstances that would make the bravest person tremble. This was a story of choices; between right and wrong, love and loyalty, and submission to God’s will.  A major theme running throughout is the question of ‘why does God let bad things happen?’  And when that question is not answered, do we still trust?  This was also a very thoughtful read on the choices and consequences of our own free will.

I would say that this is more Geesje’s story as in that one we do come to a resolution.  I do not know if this will be a series or not, but Anna’s story is left open, which does work with this story.  Reading just this one book I felt like I was invested in an amazing series already.   I highly recommend this historical fiction drama.

I received a copy of this book for free from the publisher.  I was not required to leave a positive review and the views expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment