Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Review: Shadow of the Storm by Connilyn Cossette

Click to purchase.
Shadow of the Storm is a remarkable Bible period story.  I really liked how the author showed a realistic viewpoint on what moving a nation of people might look like and people being human, how they might not have gotten along.  I know from the scriptures that Moses has a hard time of it and spent plenty of time on his face before God for this nation.  The author also showed what it must have been like, prejudices and all, for those who were not Hebrew to move out with them and follow the one true God.  Not all left for that reason, some left as an opportunity, but the picture I was really seeing was a very diverse nation who was happy not to be enslaved but did miss some of the aspects of Egypt: the culture, the food, the land itself.  That was very thought provoking.

We see this story mainly through the eyes of Shira who in her younger years had experienced a very traumatic event which has left her scarred on the inside.  She is still learning to cope with that heavy burden and wanting to also step out of the family business (being a weaver) to seek out her heart’s calling, to become a midwife.  I also enjoyed the midwife information the author weaved into her story.

The romance is complicated.  It was real and at times shocking and uncomfortable.  It was a beautiful love story as well and I enjoyed seeing some of the Jewish wedding customs played out in the book.  With the knowledge I have garnered from reading this novel, I actually understand some scripture passages in both the Old and New Testament more.   If you are looking for Biblical fiction that will not only entertain but educate, I highly recommend this one.


I received a copy of the book for free.  I was not required to leave a favorable review and all views expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment