Friday, November 4, 2016

Review: The Name I Call Myself by Beth Moran

My Review:

In The Name I Call Myself, Faith is going through life just surviving.  She is a survivor but she has never been able to let her guard down and just live without the fear that has always followed her.  She keeps her past and secrets very well guarded.  She has not even shared some of these secrets to Perry her fiancé.  The author slowly lets the readers in on Faith’s past as we journey with Faith and the coming out of her shell.

 We enjoy an assorted cast of characters in this book, I especially liked the choir that Faith and her best friend stumble upon and how they “adopt” Faith who becomes part of them and Marilyn, her best friend becomes a sort of mascot for them all.  Faith realizes through these women, that she is not alone in having a difficult life and I think because of them Faith begins to come out of the shell she has enclosed around her.  Faith’s best friend, Marilyn, was a hoot as well.  I chuckled many times over their over the top descriptions and nicknames they gave.  For example the nickname for the wedding dress Faith was supposed to wear: The Ghost Web.

We also have sort of a love triangle.  Of course Faith is engaged to Perry, but she meets Dylan whom she actually begins to have feelings for against her better judgement.  Due to some nasty stuff that happened to Faith and her brother, we have an underlying sense of danger as well. 

I enjoy Beth Moran’s quirky characters, the humor, even when dealing with serious problems.  This keeps the story moving, rooting for the characters, without becoming completely depressed for them.  I laughed out loud many times and because this is written in first person we are emotionally connected with Faith.  The title was a clever fit to the story.


I received a copy of this book for free from the publishers.  I was not required to give a positive review and all views expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment