Thursday, August 14, 2014

Review: Poison Town by Creston Mapes





Poison Town played out like an action packed thriller movie in my head.   This is the first book I have read by Creston Mapes and it did not disappoint.  I liked getting to know Jack Crittendon and his family and friends.    Jack is really struggling with forgiveness and fear since the ordeal when his wife was kidnapped.  This is causing problems in his and Pam’s marriage.   While that and more are going on in his personal life, he is having car trouble and goes to his mechanics.  While there he learns that Galen, the father, has been really sick.  While Galen was at the hospital someone had tried to poison him.  This sets off a chain of events where Jack, who is an investigative reporter by profession, is trying to help his friends search for answers about their town being poisoned from a nearby factory.  Jack and Derrick, his reporter friend/partner, begin to uncover some very shady dealings and a lot of corporate greed with people who really want this story silenced, that they will stoop to do anything to keep this quiet, including murder.    There is a lot of stuff going on in this story and the last 80 pages or so had me on the edge of my seat.   There are also quite a few characters, yet the author made them all stand out and we even got to know the minor ones well.  This story takes place in my home state of Ohio which made the story even creepier for me.  This is a second in the series and even though it is can be read as a standalone, the first book does deal with Pam’s kidnapping.  I have not read the first one, but I do plan on going back and reading it.  At the end of the book we get a sneak peak at the third Crittendon File.  I am looking forward to reading that one as well.  I received this book from The Book Club Network and the opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment