Monday, April 4, 2016

Review: Miriam by Mesu Andrews


Miriam by Mesu Andrews is the second book in The Treasures of the Nile series.   This follows the first book but can be read as a standalone as 40 years have passed between the two.  Like The Pharaoh’s Daughter, this book swept me up back in time to ancient Egypt during the time the Israelites were enslaved to the Egyptians.  This book has two points of view, Miriam, Moses’s sister who is now 86, and Eleazer, Aaron’s third son and the personal guard to the second first born son of Pharoah.  We are treated to these two very different viewpoints as God starts unleashing the 10 plagues on Egypt and their various responses.  I found it so interesting to experience what it may have been like to live during such unbelievable times and through the devastation the plagues left.  Wrought with political intrigue and emotional conflict this was a book that had me hooked from page one, making me examine what my own personal responses would be.  I was reading with my Bible open as again I gained new insights into verses I have read before, pulling out even more morsels of truth.  I am currently doing a study of the book of Revelation and reading about these ancient plagues in light of that study really pulled me even more into this story.  Once again Mesu Andrews has done her Biblical and historical research and provided a story that even though I knew what was going to happen had me on the edge of my seat as it all unfolded.  And one must not forget the romance, though not central to the story, it was very satisfying.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.  The opinions are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment