Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Review: The Innocent by Ann H. Gabhart


The Innocent was a very good read featuring a young woman whose husband has been missing since the Civil War ended two years previous.  She finds herself in a most difficult situation trying to escape unscrupulous men and not wanting to go back to her tyrannical father.  The Shaker lifestyle appears to be her only hope of escape. Ms. Gabhart did her research and I learned more about the Shakers and their very strange beliefs than I had known before.  I really felt for our heroine Carlyn and her seemingly hopeless situation.  Not knowing whether her husband is dead or alive, she fights a growing attraction to the town sheriff who seems to understand her.  Not only a great history lesson but a story with a decidedly creepy vibe that kept me guessing on whom was to be the most feared.  I really enjoyed the words that Carlyn always remembered her mother saying, and that was “pray anyway” no matter what the circumstances or even if you don’t think God is listening.  ‘Pray anyway’ is a great take away life lesson.  I received a copy of this book for an honest review from Revell Publishing and the opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment