Sunday, March 8, 2015

Review: Anna's Crossing by Suzanne Woods Fisher

 
Anna’s Crossing by Suzanne Woods Fisher is not your usual Amish story.  This story takes place in 1737 where we find a group of Amish and Mennonite communities preparing to leave on a ship from Germany to the New World.  They have decided to travel to Penn’s Woods so that they may have the freedom to worship as they see fit.  I enjoy sea faring tales a great deal, and this one takes place for the most part on the ship known as the Charming Nancy.   This was a very in depth story of their lives at sea, particularly that of Anna Konig and her community of Amish.  This story is not for the faint of heart as it does mention some of man’s inhumanity to man, especially on slavers, and the hardships these emigrants braved to come to the New World.  This story has a lovely romance, familial love, and shows a strong community.  I was also quite surprised at some of the major revelations this story revealed for our characters.  Ms. Fisher has done her homework with the historical detail she gives this story and includes some of the actual history of this ship and its voyage in her author’s notes.  I really enjoyed this story and I hope that there might be a sequel.  I received my copy for an honest review from Revell, and the opinions stated are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment