Friday, December 26, 2014

Review: Tried and True by Mary Connealy


Mary Connealy is one of my go to authors that I know I will get a great story.  Tried and True I do believe is my new favorite of hers.  Taking place some months after the Civil War, we have three sisters and their Pa taking advantage of the homesteading laws out west, the location of their homesteads being in the Idaho territory.  The interesting part is that all three sisters had disguised themselves as men and fought in the war due to their father’s goading them in honor of their late brother.  Bailey and Shannon, the two oldest, have taken their roles as men and embraced them.  Kylie, the youngest however, wants to be a woman and has let her hair grow and wears skirts.  She wants to be taken care of and wants to forget the horrors of the war she fought in.  In steps Aaron Masterson, who also fought as a Union soldier, who is now working as a land agent for the US government.   Wanting to make sure everything is legal, he finds out that Kylie is not who she says she is and there ensues a legal problem.  That is only the icing on the cake as we meet other folks of the territory, those who want Kylie’s land and will stoop pretty low to scare her off and those who want her watering rights.  Told with her trademark style infused with humor, Aaron and Kylie seem to fall into one mess after another as they are falling in love.  And just when everything seems to be looking up for our characters, we get some unexpected twists and turns.   Like I said earlier, I do believe this is my favorite Mary Connealy book to date.  I look forward to the next two books in the Wilde sisters’ trilogy, especially after reading the excerpt for book two.  I received my review copy from The Book Club Network, Inc. (TBCN) and the opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment