Sunday, December 21, 2014

Review: Honor by Lyn Cote


Honor by Lyn Cote is an extraordinary tale of one Quaker woman’s faith and endurance during the time period of 1819-1820.  Standing up and having faith in her late father’s abolitionist beliefs, she goes against her grandfather’s stubborn will and pro-slavery beliefs.  Raised on the High Oaks plantation, Honor was set to inherit her family’s legacy however, she was betrayed by her grandfather after he passed on.  Now left with only $100 and her maid Royale (a former slave she set free), these two women must leave the only home they have ever known and embark on a new way of life.  Due to some unforeseen circumstances, Honor finds herself in a marriage of convenience, quite literally, to a man who is deaf and his three year old nephew who needs a mother.  As they head west to Ohio to start their new lives, they come against prejudice, peril, and man’s inhumanity to man.  Facing all kinds of trials and circumstances, Honor and her little family must learn to trust, depend on, and love each other.  However when secrets come to light and are revealed, Honor will need to learn to forgive.

I was very caught up in this very riveting yet heartbreaking tale.  The cover is beautiful and just looking at Honor peering back at me I knew she had an intriguing story to tell.  The history of Ohio and its stand on slavery and its role that it played in the Underground Railroad was also very interesting to read about.  This was my first Lyn Cote book and I look forward to reading her previous books and the second in the Quaker Bride Series, Blessing.  I received this book from The Book Club Network, (TBCN) however, my opinions are my own and I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment