Sunday, April 30, 2017

Review: To the Farthest Shores by Elizabeth Camden

Purchase
About:


Naval officer Ryan Gallagher broke Jenny’s heart six years ago when he abruptly disappeared. Now he’s returned but refuses to discuss what happened. Furious, Jenny has no notion of the impossible situation Ryan is in. With lives still at risk, he can’t tell Jenny the truth about his overseas mission—but he can’t bear to lose her again either.

My Thoughts:

There is just something special about author Elizabeth Camden’s writing, which is why she is one of my favorite authors.  Her latest release, To the Farthest Shores pulled me in with yet another unique couple. Her heroes and heroines are not cookie cutter characters and I was very invested in what was happening to Lt. Ryan Gallagher and Nurse Jenny Bennett.  Starting in the year 1898, Ryan and Jenny have a whirlwind romance and quickly fall in love, planning their ever after together.  Then Ryan must leave on assignment for the military leaving Jenny with promises of their future together.  Six years pass and Jenny is left with only a terse letter from Ryan along with broken dreams and unfulfilled promises.

When Ryan steps back into Jenny’s world, she is shocked and surprised by the obvious proof of his betrayal of her and the love that she thought was forever. There were times in this story that I wanted Jenny to smack Ryan upside his head and other times I just wanted her to forgive him and kiss and make up. Theirs’s was a very complex relationship and both were very intelligent characters with pasts that were slowly unveiled to give this story and the times they lived in such depth.  I enjoyed the historical significance of some of the agencies in the US government that were really just getting started and the cultural differences between the United States and Japan.   

This was an engrossing read for me and I cannot wait to open another book by author Camden.

I received a copy of this book for free from the publisher.  I was not required to post a positive review and all the views and opinions expressed are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment