Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Review: A Note Yet Unsung by Tamera Alexander

About:

Despite her training as a master violinist, Rebekah Carrington was denied entry into the Nashville Philharmonic by young conductor Nathaniel Whitcomb, who bowed to public opinion. Now, with a reluctant muse and a recurring pain in his head, he needs her help to finish his symphony. But how can he win back her trust when he’s robbed her of her dream?

My Thoughts:

What a treat it was for me to read this latest in author Alexander’s series, A Belmont Mansion Novel.  This book is over 400 pages but went so quickly for me as the writing and the characters pulled me into their world for a while and I had a hard time coming back out of it.  Taking place shortly after the Civil War, Rebekah Carrington has been called back from Vienna to her home in Nashville, Tennessee after her beloved Grandmother has died.  Reluctant to come back home to a mother who does not understand her and to a step-father who is a rather evil man, Rebekah becomes desperate for a job and other living arrangements.  She lives in a time where it was very much frowned upon to have a woman play in the orchestra.  That however is Rebekah’s dream job and she is a very gifted musician.  It was frustrating to see the pigheadedness and the political mechanisms that kept women in their so called place, and I am so thankful I live in the time that I do.

Enter Maestro Nathaniel Tate Whitcomb who sees talent in Rebekah (and more) but bows to the confines of the culture; understandably so, but no less frustrating.  Tate was a very likable character with a depth about him that we get to see as the layers of his life are pulled back, and we like Rebekah get to know him.  His storyline took me by surprise and I enjoyed getting a much more in depth look at both his and Rebekah’s lives.

This story was very romantic and had me in the mood for classical music.  I liked that the author brought in a real person in history that tied this series together.  As always I appreciate the author notes and I am very interested in learning more about the Belmont Mansion and the lady herself, Adelicia Cheatham.   This moves to second place of my favorite books by author Alexander.  To Win Her Favor is still my favorite, but this is a very close second.

I received a copy of this book for free from the publisher.  I was not required to give a positive review.  All opinions and views expressed are my own.  I highly recommend this beautiful story.

No comments:

Post a Comment