Thursday, August 4, 2016

Review: A Heart Most Certain by Melissa Jagears

...”Red-light fines help pay for our schools, streets, and other municipal improvements, yes?”
        “They do.” 
“Then if the town takes their money for our betterment, they can use our books for theirs.”
        Nicholas stepped closer, his breath ruffling her hair and tickling her ear.  “I hadn’t thought I could like you more.”
Lydia and Nicholas on page 161 of A Heart Most Certain


A Heart Most Certain was one of my most anticipated reads of this year.  First off, this cover: back, spine, and front is beautiful.  I enjoy books with pretty covers and this one is a favorite of mine.  Does the story match the lovely cover?  Yes, yes it does and some.  I would have to say that this is my favorite Melissa Jagears book to date.  The hero, Nicholas has some secrets.  He is also a very private man so this makes him look like a Scrooge to the town, with him living in his magnificent mansion, especially when Lydia King tries to get him to donate to the Moral Society cause to help the poor.    I savored Nicholas and Lydia’s constant tug-o-war, the personal lessons each tried to teach the other, and finally their attraction.  I also admired Lydia’s tenacity and her spunk, especially when everything seems stacked up against her, she does not give up. 

This story has shades of Beauty and the Beast in it.  I really enjoyed all the book references and that Lydia loved stories and that Nicholas had an extensive library.   Yet, this story touched on some deep subjects that are relevant in this day and time about Christianity, hypocrisy, Pharisees, and what would Jesus really do.  This is one of those novels that make you pause and think, not only was I getting a great story, but some much needed reminders of life lessons as well.   All this was done in a non-preachy way.

The town and all the characters, the good, the bad, and the in-between, round out this novel quite nicely.  These characters kept me turning the pages and I read this book in less than a day.  I look forward to more in this series, the Teaville Moral Society.  My thanks go to Melissa Jagears and Bethany House Publishers for providing me with a copy for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment