Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Review: The Secret Life of Sarah Hollenbeck by Bethany Turner

To Purchase
About:


Steamy romance writer Sarah Hollenbeck’s career is at its peak, but reconciling her writing with her newfound faith proves more difficult than she imagined—and falling for her pastor doesn't make things any easier.

My Thoughts:

The Secret Life of Sarah Hollenbeck was a story that blew me away. It made me laugh and it made me cry. I enjoyed how the author wove into the story spiritual truths like forgiveness of sins and love that never fails. 

We first meet Sara before she becomes a Christian. She has hit a really rough patch in her life. Her husband had been cheating on her and they divorced. To find an outlet she joins a book club. What I really liked about that is she meets her future best friend there, Piper. There is a great scene in the book in regards to Piper and Sara and I really think this scene had a profound message to it. I do not want to give it away or any spoilers, but to me it stuck with me the whole rest of the book.

Sara begins to write. At first it is really bad, yet funny poems. Then she starts writing steamy romance novels that take off in a big way and makes her pen name famous.

Some time passes and Sara eventually becomes a new Christian and decides to go to church only to fall head over heels with the new pastor, who is a widower. The feelings are mutual and we have front row seats of this fast and lovely romance that has bloomed between two adults, with the twist that she is a famous steamy romance author, albeit with a pen name, but still it is a big issue.  There is some uproar and pasts come to light and all the while Sarah holds on to her faith in Jesus.

The author showed the unfortunate reality of judgmental Christians, but on the flip side Piper was a Christian that really was being salt and light. Was she perfect? No, but she did have something that Sara was wanting and just didn’t know it.

If you are looking for a novel that is humorous, heartfelt, and the beautiful message of the gospel is portrayed without being preachy, add in some romantic spice then I really recommend this one.

I received a copy of this novel for free. I was not required to post a review and all views and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment