Monday, September 29, 2014

Review: Annie's Stories by Cindy Thomson

 
 
Annie’s Stories by Cindy Thomson is a story about Annie, an Irish Immigrant, and also a story about those she lives with and deals with on an everyday occurrence.  At first glance, the cover of this story makes you think you are in for a very whimsical tale.  But just like the book that Annie is reading, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, this book has its dark and sinister parts and Annie needs to find the courage and heart to see her circumstances through.  This book is full of secrets of all kinds, deals with some dark subject matter, and really opens up to what life might have been like for Immigrants such as Annie and her friends trying to start anew in America.  I saw the early Post Office in a new light and sometimes wanted to shake Annie’s love interest due to his naivety and poor decisions.  I always enjoy a book that can teach me something new about history that I did not know before and it was very neat to read about folks who enjoyed reading as much as I do.  It was also interesting to see the sensation that The Wonderful Wizard of Oz had on the public during its time.  I received this book from The Book Club Network, Inc.  (TBCN) and the opinions are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment