Monday, June 20, 2022

Review: Edward and Amelia by Karen Thornell

 

About:

The last thing Amelia Kennington wants is to participate in the London Season. But the daughter of a duke is not afforded such opinions. She must put forth a subdued facade, but beneath it is a well-hidden fire that surfaces only when provoked―such as when an overly familiar gentleman startles her and she falls into the Serpentine.

Edward Drayton, the Earl of Norwich, has gained a reputation as Society’s most decorated rake. And while there are benefits to such a reputation, it no longer gives him the satisfaction it once did. This Season, he plans to find a wife―except she seems to find him instead. And she is nothing like he expected.

Scandal is inevitable following Edward and Amelia’s ill-conceived meeting, forcing them to marry. Amelia’s disdain for this man she hardly knows is more than clear, and Edward’s pride is wounded before their marriage has even truly begun. Yet, against all odds, the two slowly let their guard down, discovering the truth of who they married. But when Society gossip, a sister’s jealousy, and long-held secrets threaten their budding relationship, the unlikely couple must determine if their unconventional love is strong enough to withstand the opposition they face.

My Thoughts:

I adored this story. In fact, I think it is my favorite, at least in Regency this year. The characters jumped off the page and this became a story that I very much wanted to see a certain outcome. Especially since all my expectations were high on this couple having a successful marriage.

Due to unforeseen circumstances and unbelievable gossip, Edward, a known rake, and Amelia, a duke's daughter, become husband and wife. Much to Amelia's dismay and Edward's surprise.

Amelia tells herself she will just continue to protect herself like she has done with her family, now with Edward too. Unfortunately Edward has other plans for their marriage. Now that he has a wife, he is determined that she will love him. So Edward begins, if a bit in a bumbling way, to woo his wife.

Nothing goes according to any of their plans. Especially when both of their hearts want something more.  Edward's wit and humor stole the show for me, it was so genuine, and his matter-of-fact statements not only had Amelia smiling, but me as well. These were a couple of characters that I will remember for a long time and this is definitely a reread for me.

I was provided a copy of this novel from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.

1 comment: